Monday, November 23, 2009

Sunday Training

Wow! I just wanted to say Thank You to the ensemble. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed training yesterday. The energy in the room was dynamic and vivacious and very palpable. We started small but focused, and as we accumulated, the readiness was all. As George's impulse challenges in Text Circle were met with open arms, and we gained momentum for Tommy's wonderful guidance through the viewpoints work, I really felt the sense of a fully fleshed Ensemble. I am sorry that I could not continue into rehearsals, for I have no doubt they were productive with that force of energy behind them...

Yesterday's awakening (a name for my experience yesterday) is one of discovery. Both physically and actor-brain-ly, I realize that not only am I truly building a vocabulary for which to use in process, I am beginning to use it. Well, of course, right? I mean that's why we're doing this, right?! But so often we can get lost in the idea or ideal of what or why we're doing something. And this for me was, "Oh wow, this is real. This is happening. It's not just an idea anymore. " Isn't that wonderful and terrifying and inspiring all in one...?

So thank you to all. May there be many more awakenings...

Taylor

3 comments:

Soneela Nankani said...

I totally agree, Taylor.
I was late on Sunday, but when I walked in everyone was in the middle of, what I later learned, was an epic text circle. I joined in and immediately I could feel that the energy was different, heightened. It felt really alive. I could feel that everyone was riding their impulses and before I knew it I was doing it too! Cool stuff.

Colista said...

Yes! Sunday's text circle was great. Everyone seemed to be on their toes and really connected!

Erika said...

Wow, I'm so sorry I missed this day of training. I snuck in at the end, but I was filming my first industrial. Text circle was so difficult for me when we first started using it in Magis training 5 or 6 years ago. It doesn't scare the living daylights out of me anymore, but I still feel that I learn so much from each attempt.

For those who are still struggling with this or with some of the other exercises, take heart! I have been doing some of them for 13-15 years and I'm still continuing to discover new things. The challenge is always to continue to stay open to new possibilities, to stop assuming "oh, I know what this exercise is about." I try to remind myself to try new things, even if it means that sometimes I fail. Better a failed attempt that teaches me something new than falling asleep inside something I think I already know how to do.