Sunday, November 22, 2009

What's in a name?

Hi All -

Not sure this has already been covered by George or Saju at rehearsals. If it has been, skip to the next entry!

As I've been exploring the play - as well as dusting off the cobwebs of high-school Hindi (Hindi is similar to Sanskrit; I sooo wish I spent more time paying attention in class and less time writing love notes which of course were never written in Hindi!) thanks to our Mudra exercises - I've become more aware of the meanings of the names of the various characters:

Anasuya - One without envy
Priyamvada - One who talks sweetly; this I was reminded of in rehearsals today when Erika as Shakuntala verbally sparred with Priyamvada 'I know why they call you the flatterer'
Dushyanta - The destroyer of evil. Thank you, Google :-)

I was intrigued by the possibility that the name meanings could inform the character choices that we make as we work on our roles. Thankfully, many of the meanings can be found on Google with some digging.

Sajeev

2 comments:

George said...

These are great Sajeev. Thanks so much for turning us to this path of inquiry. I'm sure there are worlds to explore in all the names mentioned in this play. A good place for us to look!

Erika said...

Sajeev, these are so interesting. I was particularly glad to learn Anusuya is "one without envy"... an interesting acting challenge!

--Erika