Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thoughts a' Jack

So, I was thinking, or rather feeling, the following as I was working through Jack’s text in its entirety; from tearing the faluldrums of Ms. Sapient to the smearing serenade of Smatter.

I feel Jack has this androgynous-Alan Cumming-MC of Cabaret energy going on. I feel Jack wears face & eye make-up. Not a lot, but enough to notice. He’s zany & wild eyed yet tender underneath. I keep coming back to Alan Cummings MC performance in Cabaret years back.

He’s always hanging out with Will Scamper & Billy Skip. Are they best friends? Party friends? The likes of Merry & Pip in Lord of the Rings? Boy toys? Boys to toy w/girls? Both? Gay? Bi? Straight? I feel Jack could be any of these things.

Is he striving to identify himself because he’s confused and not sure what he is? Is this another reason why Codger & Beaufort get so infuriated with him so quickly, because he does not “fit” in their norm circle? Does not fit the family mold? Jack, the Black Sheep of the family?

I think these would be interesting things to play with other than just the “haste” of his nature.

I actually feel this feeds well into what Deborah told me last week, that Jack values the information he has so much, that it allows him to escape from his identity crisis? Is that what the constant partying and socializing does for him? Distraction from dealing w/himself? I know that’s what it did for me many times.

Codger said of Jack to Smatter “Madam, he is so giddy pated he never understands me.”

I think this may prove my point. See you Friday. Huzzah!


Gabe :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gabe, I think this has so much potential, especially with that quality of being light on your feet (or "a little light in the loafers") you were talking about last week. I'm so excited to see where this goes! -Erika